Saturday, November 13, 2010

Purim Traditions

I decided after class to do a little more research on the internet about Purim as it had been something I had never heard of. The celebrations of other religions that I am unfamiliar with make me wonder about what these days are like for the people that celebrate them. It seems as though there are four basic things to do on Purim that all start with M. Megilah, which we know is the book of Esther, Mishloah Maanot, which is sending food to friends and sharing food, Matanot Le'evyonim, which is giving charity to the poor, and Mishteh, which includes a great meal followed by drinking. There is also a fast that takes place the day before Purim. The concept that was new to me and that I found slightly different was the giving to the poor. It makes sense though. It is said that how are the people celebrating supposed to have a good time when they know people are suffering. The minimum is to give to 2 people in need.

Overall, Purim seems like a fun celebration and a day of celebrating one's friends and families as well as "the finer things in life."

No comments:

Post a Comment